Pages

Wednesday 7 May 2008

The Herschel 400

I have never been one for doing systematic observing projects, always instead doing my own thing and either just choosing targets for any given session or just deciding what to observe 'when I got there', so to speak.
However, having just seen most (70) of the Messier Objects with a pair of 8x42 binoculars which was a project brought on by financially-induced scopelessness a few years ago, I have decided to have a bash at the Herschel 400. I have probably seen a lot of the Herschel 400 anyway (I'll have to dig out old notes to be sure) but observing them with the 12" will be a fun project. I want to re-observe previously seen stuff with the 12" anyway and I daresay this'll pick up quite a lot of Herschels.
I have the Astronomical League book 'Observe the Herschel Objects' (I also have their 'Herschel II' book) so, using that as a reference, this will be an ongoing project. It's going to take me quite a long time to complete because of the UK's crappy climate and also other commitments getting in the way of observing.

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Telrad dew heater arrived this morning and I discovered a bit of a snag. I need to buy a dew controller to make it work. Bollocks!!! Oh well, I need one anyway for my refractor, so when I'm a bit more flush, I'll get one (they're around £45).